11.06.2008

The curse of the 15 month mark!

I don't know what it is about the 15 month mark and my children. When Haydn was fifteen months he broke his femur and had to spend what seemed like at eternity in a spica cast.

Now Taite is 15 months and we took him back to the doctor today because he has been sick for almost two weeks. After they weighed him we found out he had dropped below 17 lbs. After talking to the doctor he said that Taite has "failure to thrive" and decided to run some tests. I absolutely hate that saying. If anyone knows my little Taite they know he has more personality in his little toe than most kids of his age and is thriving in life, but he definitely is not growing so we were grateful to hopefully find out why. He ordered a sweat test to rule out Cystic Fibrosis and a blood test checking his blood count, thyroid, liver, and ciliac disease. He is also looking at stool samples for a bacteria or giardia. We also have an appointment next week with an occupational therapist to go over his eating development and see if we can learn any tricks to get him to eat more.

He did excellent with having to get blood drawn. Big brother Haydn gave him a sucker to feel better. The sweat test was not as fun and the lady giving it was not very friendly, but we survived and now just have to wait for the results.

We are all hoping that this is a behavioral problem and nothing more serious. We have started him on Pedisure to ensure he is at least getting his vitamin intake and some more dense calories. I am trying to be a brave mom, but I have to admit I shed a tear or two hearing all those scary possibilities. Riley gave Taite a blessing a few days ago when he was at his worst and that continues to give me comfort that we will find the answers that will help my little taiters grow and be a healthy and happy little boy.

13 comments:

d said...

Oh erika, I am sorry to hear about taiters. He will be just fine I am sure, but it always scary to hear those possibilities. We will be praying for him.

Jared and Shelby said...

Your family is in our prayers.

Jessica and Colby said...

I am sorry to hear that Taite isn't well yet. I have to agree with you that he has more personality than most children. When we stopped by your house on Sunday and he was so sick he still smiled for us and come over to be tickled by me. We'll keep both of you in our prayers and keep us updated on Taite.

Julie said...

Erika,
Good luck with all the tests (keep us informed) and with keeping a positive attitude through this trial. It is always so difficult when our children are sick. I know it makes me feel helpless. Taite is lucky to have you two as parents to help take care of him.

Carrie said...

Oh.. that makes me so sad! I hope as well that everything goes well, he will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if you need anything!

Levi and Jenny said...

Parenting is tough, it is hard to see your little ones suffer through these medical tests. We hope that all is well, and your right "failure to thrive" is a terrible term that I have never liked either. When you see a true failure to thrive child it will truely break your hear, Taite is definitely not that child.

Lyman and Kim said...

Your family is in our prayers...we know what miracles come when family and friends come together and pray for those in need. I know you are not a huge talker on the phone but if you would like to talk or email regarding some tips and tricks we have learned over the last year in regards to encouraging them to eat better I would be happy to help. Pedisure is great and hopefully you will notice a difference soon...we did with Bentley (the Parent Choice at Wal-Mart is a bit cheaper than the name brand, FYI). Also, I have some good recipes that you use the pedisure in and then also some power-packing recipes.
You are a great mom and you can still be brave and cry at the same time. It is heartbreaking to see those you love be in any kind of pain! Keep us posted.

Levi and Jenny said...

Erika,
I am so sorry to hear that your cute little one is sick, we will also keep you in our prayers. I miss you guys.
Jenny

Aunt Deb said...

Hope Tait starts feeling better! He is such a cutie. Let us know how the tests go! We will be praying for him.

Aunt Deb said...

Sorry I spelled Taite's name wrong. I knew better.
Debbie

Melissa said...

Sorry to hear about Taiter-tot. We hope the dr's will find out what is causing him to be sick :( Hang in there - you are still an amazing mom even if your kids get sick!

Haven said...

Keep us posted on the results! We're praying everything will come out right. Poor lil' guy. :(

Hillary said...

Just wanted to add our prayers and a hope you'll keep us posted.