12.22.2008

It's a Christmas miracle!

We interrupt the 12 days of Christmas to bring you a Christmas miracle. To fully appreciate the magnitude of this miracle it requires a little back story. In July our Verizon cell phone contract was expiring. I had my eye on the new 3G iphone for some time and was trying to convince Riley that they were a must have. You see ever since getting married I have never gotten a new phone. I have received several of Riley's hand-me-down phones as he tries out the latest and greatest.

After several negotiations I convinced him and we took a trip to Salt Lake to what can only be compared to the FAO Schwartz for adults, the Apple store at the Gateway. We got our sleek new iphones and I couldn't be happier. I was checking my e-mail and blogging in the car on the way home from the store. We have since LOVED our phones. They have opened us up to the world of texting, given us directions when lost, provided recommendations of where to eat and provided endless hours of entertainment for the boys with the downloaded light saber application.

This brings me to last Tuesday. We were out getting the boys haircuts and after Haydn was done I took him to go to the bathroom before we headed home for dinner. I didn't bring my purse in, but had slipped my phone into my back pocket. As I squatted down to help Haydn pull his pants back up I heard the horrifying sound of a clunk and then splash!! My beloved iphone had fallen into the toilet!! As I quickly grabbed it out (luckily we had already flushed) I watched the screen flashing in horror as it eventually shut completely off. I frantically dried off all the water from the outside and then tried opening my eyes as if it was all a bad dream. No luck!

I waited until we got home to spill the beans to Riley. The brilliant man that he is, he went straight to google for answers. Seriously what would we do with out Google?! After finding out I was not alone in my quandary we debated which method would be most beneficial in helping us dry out my phone. Blow dryer, submerging it in a cup of rice, air dry? We left it alone and said we would see if it would turn on in the morning.

After a night of tossing and turning I awoke to find no such luck. My phone would not turn on and show me it's famous apple logo. After several days and nothing happening we decided it was time to face reality and decide to get a new phone. Oh the horror of the possibility of getting just a cell phone. I mean who can really go back after having the crown jewel of cell phones. Since St. George doesn't have an apple store we called Riley's parents to help us out in our time of need. Riley's dad braved the Apple store the Saturday before Christmas and the 45 minutes it took him to get out of the Gateway parking lot, just to get me an over priced replacement to my phone. As soon as we heard the news that a new phone would be coming to St. George the next day I went to send my water logged phone to it's burial grounds. In a last ditch effort I pushed the on button one last time and to my surprise it turned on and the beautiful chimes were like angles singing!!

I know there is some huge irony here, but I am so grateful that I don't have to spend $400 for a new iphone! The iphone that came back to life will go down as the Christmas miracle of 2008.

5 comments:

Jessica and Colby said...

You are so lucky, Colby's phone never recovered from it's dunking in the toilet and we had to get him a new one. The other solution I have heard is putting the phone in a bag filled with kitty litter.

Carrie said...

Wow, who would have known?? I share the same love for my iphone and you really can't ever go back to just a cell phone absolutely NOT! :) I am glad you got it back to life, I always get a good laugh reading your blog! :)

Grandma Sherl said...

What a well written comical story. Your dad and I love it and brought smiles to our faces. Thanks for sharing. Dad also said you need to save this. Have a wonderful Christmas Eve. We wish you were here and miss you all sooooooooooooo much.

Lisa said...

A Christmas miracle indeed! Glad it came back to life. The same thing happened to my friend...well, almost the same, she dropped hers into glass of Crystal Light.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! See you soon!

Levi and Jenny said...

so funny!