5.07.2008

9 Month Check-up

Taite had his 9 month check-up yesterday. I am beginning to dread going to the pediatrician. It seems like every time I think that Taite will be higher on the weight scale I am sorely disappointed. Once again this was the case. My little Taiter tot weighs in at a whopping 15.79 lbs (1%) and 26.97 inches (11%). When he was born he was 30% for weight and 94% for height. I am clearly doing something wrong. I am nursing 3x/day and the other 3x he is eating solids. He eats 1/2 cup of rice or oatmeal baby cereal at a sitting plus a serving of fruits or vegetables. Last night we introduced chicken and he did well with that as well. I am at a total loss. I'm sure if I gave him formula he would fatten up, but the poor kid throws up every kind I have tried. Plus, isn't breast milk supposed to be best?! My pediatrician says he isn't worried and even told me they call what he is doing delayed onset weight gain, but I am thinking that he needs to deliver on the onset part of the weight gain. On top of our continued struggle with trying to get him to gain weight (boy, I wish I had this problem) we found out that his iron was low. Now that IS like his mom. Riley's solution was to feed him steak and butter - do you think it will work?


Otherwise his development is good. He is crawling like a pro and starting to get into mischief. The picture is of him crawling out from behind the t.v. I love it. I know you are supposed to get upset when they play in the dog water or pull out the clothes you just folded in the clothes basket, but seeing his adventurous spirit is so much fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worry not about his weight gain. He is fine. At least he is gaining.

I personally think that the % stuff is crap. Because you have to look at the parents and how they were at that age. Not other kids in the nation.

So if you and Riley were lightweights as kids then yours will be too.

You are doing great the kids are always happy when I see them. Not that I see them often. But they are happy.

So unless the little ones start losing for no reason Worry Not.

Grandma Sherl said...

How can you think you're doing something wrong. Take a look at his smiley face. He is always in a happy mood. I wouldn't worry about the percentages. He's healthy and that is important. You are a great MOM!!!!!

d said...

Well, my very professional opinion is - the kid rocks. I think that Roman seconds my opinion. I can't wait until Ro starts crawling- Taite was such a good example for him!

Lyman and Kim said...

I have to agree with all the other ladies. You are a great mom and I have learned that you judge your childs weight and how healthy they are by looking at them and just being their mom. You just have to trust the instinct you have as his mother. If you are really worried about it though I do have a few tricks that we did with Bentley that you can talk to your pediatrician about (or just try). He looks awesome though!!!

Haven said...

As long as he's happy and active, nothing to worry about!